Town of Norwich, Vermont

Town offices:

300 Main St.
(802) 649-1419


Getting Married in Vermont

So you’ve chosen Vermont as your wedding venue (good choice!). What’s next? Most of your questions are answered in this pamphlet.

Any town clerk in Vermont can issue a marriage license for residents and non-residents alike. In Norwich we ask that you make an appointment to get your license. Please fill out this form and email it to the clerk at least one day before your appointment, as all the information in the form needs to get entered into the state-run online system. You and your fiancé(e) must both come IN PERSON to obtain the marriage license.

Marriage licenses cost $80, and the Town of Norwich can take cash or check only. Marriage licenses are good for 60 days from the date of issue. Once the ceremony is completed, the officiant must return the marriage certificate to the Town Clerk within 10 days (the statutes are silent on mode of return – mailing is fine).

Do you need a certified copy of your marriage certificate? This can be obtained in person in the town in which you were married, or you can order a certified copy from the Department of Vital Records.