The Town of Norwich Buildings and Grounds Department was established in 2008 in response to the needs of Norwich’s growing and active community. Town buildings and recreational fields are being used more during the day and evening, thereby increasing the importance of having staff available for building security and maintenance.
We employ one full-time employee to perform the duties of this Department. We do our best to keep up with the needs of our growing Town and we are always willing to accept help from any volunteers that are willing to lend a helping hand with projects around Town.
The primary responsibility of this employee is the maintenance of grounds at Town buildings, parks, and recreational facilities. In the winter months the employee is responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalks.
Other responsibilities of this employee include maintenance of Town buildings in conjunction with the Buildings Maintenance Custodian. The employee may cover for the Buildings Maintenance Custodian and duties include, but are not limited to, the maintenance of HVAC systems, electrical, plumbing, minor carpentry, doors and locksets, painting, and light cleaning. The purpose of this position is to maintain Town property for use by the general public. Successful performance helps ensure safe and well-maintained grounds, parks, and recreational fields and affects the public image of the Town.
- Performs maintenance activities such as seeding, aerating, mowing, trimming, and various landscaping duties at all Town parks and recreational fields. These include: Huntley Field and Rec. area, the pool and rec. area, Barrett Memorial Park, Foley Park, Welcome to Norwich sign area, and the Route 10A corridor.
- Maintains the lawns and grounds at Tracy Hall, the Police/Fire Station, and the Transfer Station.
- Recommends purchase of maintenance equipment and supplies. Maintains and repairs department equipment.
- Provides supervision to any seasonal employees hired for buildings and grounds maintenance.
- Assists in setting up and taking down athletic field equipment, including goals and fences, as needed.
- Lines and paints athletic fields.
- Removes trash from playing fields, parks, and trail entrances.
- Performs landscaping duties such as cutting grass, planting, and trimming weeds.
- Performs pruning and brush removal.
- Assists with window cleanup and air conditioners at all public buildings.
- Assists with election/town function setup.
- Assists with fall/spring cleanup as needed.
- Develops a daily work log to be submitted to the Public Works Director weekly.
- Mows and trims grass at town buildings.
- Applies bark mulch as requested or needed.
- Assists with snow removal during winter months.
- Performs winter maintenance of sidewalks, which includes snowplowing and applying salt for snow and ice removal.
- Transports recreational equipment to playing fields as necessary.
- Repairs and maintains bus shelters.
- Assists with building maintenance in conjunction with the Buildings Maintenance Custodian.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Supervision: The Buildings and Grounds Technician reports to the Director of Public Works.
Public Works Department: 649-2209
Public Works Director: Andy Hodgdon
Buildings and Grounds Technician: Bob Barden