Interesting facts in Norwich early history:
NORWICH WAS CHARTERED JULY 4, 1761
1765: First European settlers to winter in Norwich
1766: First saw mill on Blood Brook
1768: First town meeting held in Norwich
1771: Norwich had 40 families and 206 inhabitants
1775: Rev. Lyman Potter called as first minister
1777: Norwich sent two representatives to Westminister where Vermont independence was declared
1778: First meetinghouse started
1785: Vermont legislature met in Norwich
1790: Peter Olcott became second Lieutenant Governor in Vermont
1791: Vermont joined the U.S. Union as 14th state
1819: Captain Alden Partridge established A.L.S & M Academy in Norwich
1835: Academy chartered as Norwich University by Vermont Legislature
1866: After burning of South Barracks, University moved to Northfield, VT
1875: The “Old Corner Store” at Norwich village consumed by fire. The Baptist meeting-house at West Norwich demolished and removed to Sharon Village.
1880: Norwich Public Library established in December.
1889: Union Hotel and connecting buildings destroyed by fire.
1990: “The Newton Inn” erected by Dr. W. S. Bowles.
1892: Ames’ steam mill burned in August; rebuilt and again destroyed by fire, October, 1893.
1897: Academy building, formerly the north building of Norwich University, destroyed by fire.
1898: School building, Norwich village, erected.
1901: First observance of Old Home Week.
1938: Hurricane. Town hall completed and opened.
1963: Dresden School District last bill JFK signed before his death in 1963.
1971-2: Dresden went interstate.
1951: Addition to school building.
1989: Another addition to school building.
1915: Community bandstand built.